Word Of WisdomNKJV Notes by Pastor Bob Caldwell
Wisdom is the first gift listed in 1 Corinthians 12. This may be because without wisdom all the other gifts could be used in such a way as to bring more harm then good. It is for that reason that Proverbs 4:6,7 councils us to love wisdom and make it as a principal pursuit in life.
In this study you will discover different types of wisdom referred to in scripture. The unique distinction of the word of wisdom is that it is a divinely revealed wisdom given within your spirit to answer a specific issue you are facing.
II. Various types of Wisdom
A. Satanic Wisdom
- James 3:14-15 - "earthly, sensual, demonic"
B. Human Wisdom
- Luke 16:8- "shrewd servant"
- Ecclesiastes 1:16-18"gained more wisdom"
C. Spiritual Wisdom
- James 1:5-6 "If any of you lacks wisdom let him ask of God."
- 1 Corinthians 2:4-7- "We speak the wisdom of God."
- 1 Corinthians 2:10- God has revealed them to us through His Spirit. For the Spirit searches the deep things of God."
- Luke 10:21- "Revealed them to babes."
- Ephesians 1:17 - "may give to you the spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of Him."
III. Examples of Word of Wisdom
A. In the Life of Jesus
- Luke 4:3-12 - Jesus' answer to Satans's temptation.
- John 4:19-20 - Jesus' words that avoided debate of Jewish or Samari tan worship and spoke directly to the heart of the issue.
- Matt. 22:15-22 - Here Jesus avoids being trapped in His words by His wise answer that ends up exposing the hearts of His detractors.
- Matt. 22:23-33- Jesus answers in a way that puts aside the unbelief of the Sadduccees and also exposes their hearts.
B. Examples In Good Leadership
- Deuteronomy 34:9 - Joshua's qualification to replace the leadership of Moses included being filled with the Spirit of Wisdom.
- Exodus 31:2-4- Bezalel was filled with the Spirit of Wisdom to oversee the construction of the tabernacle.
- Daniel 2:20-30- Daniel is able to answer seemingly unanswerable problems by words of wisdom given by God.
- 1 Kings 3:16-28 - Solomon is able to bring about the truth in this matter by the word of wisdom given by God.
- 2 Samuel 5:19; 23-24 - King David is given by the revealed wisdom of God a strategy to win in this battle.
- Acts 6:10- Stephen is enabled by the revealed wisdom of God to proclaim the gospel in an unrefutable way.
- 1 Corinthians 2:1-7 - Paul attributes his source of power in his preaching to the revealed wisdom of God given to him.
We can see by the examples referred to above that the word of wisdom is an essential gift to be able to effectively deal with the challenging issues of life. This gift has application not only in the ministry but is equally a needed gift in our interpersonal relationship among our families, friends and people we work with.